As I mentioned earlier, I had a "moment" with God. I literally sat in the middle of my living room yelling and crying to God about who He is, what He wants with me, why I was feeling this way (that's another blog post - seriously, it's coming soon, I promise), and how was He going to make it 'better.'
I had the Bible in front of me, unopened, and as I sat there crying, I felt like He gave me a hug. He didn't say much but he gave me a few verses and then showed me the book of Matthew - the first book of the NT. The bible I am using is The MacArthur Study Bible, New King James Version. This is relevant because in the beginning of each book, John MacArthur gives the reader introductions to the books (the title, author and date, background and setting, historical and theological themes, and interpretive challenges) and he also gives an outline and dates.
I ended up reading this intro to Matthew and realized this book was the perfect book for me to start at. Matthew (also known and Levi the tax collector) wrote this book specifically to witness to the Jews. As MacArthur states, "the purpose [of Matthew] is somewhat narrower [than Luke's]: to demonstrate that Christ is King and Messiah of Israel. This gospel quotes more than 60 times from OT prophetic passages, emphasizing how Chris is the fulfillment of those promises."
Matthew begins with telling us Jesus' lineage then dives into His birth. Most people who aren't even Christian know the story of Mary and Joseph. However, through my study I realized that there was more to the story - more that made it raw, real, and more empowering - that spoke directly to me.
Now the birth of Jesus Christ was as follows: After His mother Mary was betrothed to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Spirit.
Then Joseph her husband, being just a man, and not wanton to make her a public example was minded to put her away secretly. Matthew 1:18-19
In Jewish customs then, being betrothed to someone was as 'severe' as marriage. You'd need to go through legal channels, much like a divorce, to undo the arranged union. So in this case, Mary and Joseph were engaged, not yet married and Mary found out she was pregnant.
It seemed, especially to Joseph, that she had committed adultery, the punishment for the crime then was stoning. But as scripture suggests, he was a good man that instead decided to get a quiet divorce.
20 But while he thought about these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take to you Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. 21 And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name JESUS, for He will save His people from their sins.”
22 So all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying: 23 “Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,”[d] which is translated, “God with us.”
24 Then Joseph, being aroused from sleep, did as the angel of the Lord commanded him and took to him his wife, 25 and did not know her till she had brought forth her firstborn Son.[e] And he called His name JESUS. Matthew 1:20-25
After reading all of this (and what my study Bible had to say) I had this "Whoa!" moment (ala Joey Lawrence). Joseph trusts GOD with all of his heart - despite whatever he may have felt - and stays with Mary. Think about this - had he spoke with the temple leaders, what would have happened? Could you imagine if Joseph decided to do "what was right in the eyes of 'religion'" and stoned Mary? Where would we be?
I put myself into Joseph's shoes and wondered if I would have felt compelled to be so compassionate. I know I'd probably be mad, feel betrayed, and extremely upset. Would I give my betrothed a "second chance"? Would I be worried about what others would say? If an 'Angel of the Lord' came to me in a dream and tell me that this baby was God's and I needed to stay with my wife-to-be, would I believe and trust this 100%?
When were are pushed by God to follow His plan - are we truly ready? Do we have the utmost faith in Him?
The verse that immediately came to mind when reading your post was Ephesians 3:20 (NLT) "Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think." It has absolutely nothing to do with what we can do and everything with what He can do if allow Him to use us to His glory.
ReplyDeleteContinued prayers for you on this awesome journey of adoption.