Saturday, February 5, 2011

Public Service Announcement: Pets & Driving

On my way to work last week I was behind a small car with it's windows more than half open and out of the windows popped this tiny dog - ears flapping in the wind, tongue hanging out. Now I know many people are probably going, "awwww" as I'm painting this visual.

I snapped this a couple months ago - cute boxer, right?
From Blogger Pictures

I can not count how many cars, truck, SUVs that I've seen that have their dogs hanging out the window unsecured. The fact of the matter is anything can happen and I'm sure you'd want your pet just as safe as you, your significant other or your CHILD. Still think it's cute?



from Bark Buckle Up:

The Facts Are In: When driving 35 mph, a 60-pound unrestrained dog can cause an impact of 2,700 pounds, slamming into a car seat, windshield, or passenger. Even if the animal survives, it can impede the progress of rescue workers who need every moment possible to safely care for accident victims.

* A 60-pound pet can causes a 2,700 pound projectile, even at only 35mph
* Statistics show pet travel has increased 300% since 2005
* Unrestrained pets can delay emergency workers' access to human occupants
* Pets escaping post-accident can pose many dangers, including catching the loose pet
* Injured pets may bite rescue workers or others who are trying to help
* Pets may escape through a window or open door and cause a second accident
* Driver distraction is common when unrestrained pets are rambunctious

http://www.barkbuckleup.com/default.asp

http://www.besmartridesafe.com/default.aspx

Please take the pledge, share the word and keep your pets safe and secured when driving. We are their guardians and the deserve to be kept safe in our care.

Our pets, Giz and Mush, all buckled up:
From Blogger Pictures

1 comment:

  1. Love this post! Last summer a friend of ours from high school recounted about how two of his cats died when he and his wife were in a car accident during their cross-country move from NC to CO. The only cat who survived was the one his wife was clutching in her lap. It broke my heart. Piper and Molly always ALWAYS were their puppy seatbelts. It doesn't matter if we're going down the street to my friend Julie's house (which is 2 miles away on a 40 mph road) or if we're driving back to see my parents (950+ miles on interstate highways). They always wear them. Hamish isn't big enough for one yet, which makes me very upset and very nervous. I think I may have to break down and buy him one, even though he'll grow out of it soon.

    Also, we're planning to buy a bigger vehicle later this year so the dogs will all fit. How sad is that? Three 60+ lb dogs just don't fit in the back of my Altima very well. Oh well, I guess that's the price of having three super cute puppy dogs. ;)

    ReplyDelete