Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Searching for something deeper

I struggled for a long time to write about this because I was worried it would be upsetting to some, that I'd get the never-ending advice and comments and just not something I wanted to deal with. But I decided that talking about this is more important than me worrying about what others will think.

I was born a non-denominational Christian. We were raised to believe that God created the earth, He sent His Son, Jesus, to die on the cross for our sins, that He rose on the 3rd day, and will return again to bring us home. My God is an awesome God, He loves His children and we are taught to live as Jesus lived.

The past couple of years my heart has been telling me to live differently. Homosexuality is a sin in God's eyes, however many Christians have taken it upon themselves to be the judge and the jury and have treated them badly and not lovingly. I find it is not MY place to judge, just to love. God reserves that right.

Because of this, and many other minor differences, I've started wondering about what I truly believe and where I really belong. I have started looking outside of the known branches of Christianity to find people who love and cherish my God as much as I do and love everything and everyone He has created.

8 comments:

  1. Amen. I too believe in that. I believe that God loves us all and I believe that God reserves the right to judge, no matter WHAT the sin. Each of us struggle with DIFFERENT sins. How is my sin any different from any one else? My God is a loving God, and I want to show the world the love I have been filled with. Condeming and judging is not for me to do...
    My relationship with God is a personal one. Any church I have ever attended has things I like and things I don't like. I take what I believe to be true and then discard any information I don't agree with. If you come across a perfect church, let me know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got the perfect church! And believe it or not, we do believe exactly what you and Kari just said. Love both of you girls so much. I know you'll find the answer to your prayers, and whatever that is I can't wait to hear all about it.
    If you're ever curious about those crazy Mormons, I know where you can find one to answer your questions. Loves, acceptance and appreciation to each and all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have this conversation with God. Ask Him and Him alone how to wrestle with this. If you're still struggling, seek Godly, wise-council. Your relationship with Him may be personal, but living out your faith is not. You need to have a strong foundation and stance on what you believe, otherwise the enemy will know right where to target you.

    You shouldn't feel bad or wrong for thinking this. Struggling with these issues are a healthy, real part of growing as a follower of Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kari - I know what you mean.

    LJ - :D Will keep you posted.

    Katy - thank you. I've been having more quiet times with Him and have seriously enjoyed it. I think my struggle is more with the people I know in Christianity and thinking about what they will say if I find God calling me somewhere else. I know it sounds ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think you sound ridiculous at all. Your prayers will be answered, I do know that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! You sound like an budding Episcopalian!

    In the words of the Nicene Creed:

    We believe in one God,
    the Father, the Almighty,
    maker of heaven and earth,
    of all that is, seen and unseen.
    We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,
    the only Son of God,
    eternally begotten of the Father,
    God from God, Light from Light,
    true God from true God,
    begotten, not made,
    of one Being with the Father.
    Through him all things were made.
    For us and for our salvation
    he came down from heaven:
    by the power of the Holy Spirit
    he became incarnate from the Virgin Mary, and was made man.
    For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate;
    he suffered death and was buried.
    On the third day he rose again
    in accordance with the Scriptures;
    he ascended into heaven
    and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
    He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead,
    and his kingdom will have no end.
    We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
    who proceeds from the Father and the Son,
    With the Father and the Son he is worshiped and glorified.
    He has spoken through the Prophets.
    We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.
    We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
    We look for the resurrection of the dead,
    and the life of the world to come. Amen.

    The Episcopal Church accepts and loves ALL Christians, including those who are homosexual, divorced, single parents, etc etc. As my priest put it when I was going through confirmation class, "We invite everyone to feast at our table, and let God sort it out for Himself." You should think about checking out an Episcopal Church in your area. You might like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd check out "Searching for God Knows What" by Donald Miller.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, all for your suggestions. I've been doing a lot of praying and have been asking many questions of different religions. Very, very interesting - something I'd love to blog about in the future. :D

    ReplyDelete