Friday, July 16, 2010

Breastfeeding an adopted newborn

Through so much research (I really should think about getting paid for all that I do! haha) I found out that women can actually generate breast milk and therefore breastfeed a child even if they did not birth one.

S. and I are actually really excited at the thought of being able to breastfeed our baby as it will create a great bonding experience for us. (Not to mention the great health benefits derived from breastfeeding.)

I plan on switching to an all-Japanese food diet once we get our call to travel and will be taking the natural herbs and supplements to try and generate breast milk. All I can do is hope that all goes well.

For those interested in reading more here are my wonderful resources:

Le Leche League International: Adoptive Breastfeeding

kellymom.com::Adoptive Breastfeeding

asklenore.com - breastfeeding & induced lactation

Aus. Breastfeeding Assoc.: Breastfeeding the adopted child

4 comments:

  1. Hey thanks for the linking...I'm praying about whether that is right for our family too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a girlfriend that did that with her adoptive son. I am sure I could put you in contact with her if you would like some info on a "personal" level. Although, her son is now 8 so I'm sure they have all kinds of new things that are even BETTER now!
    Breastfeeding is AMAZING and such a WONDERFUL experience. If it's an option I say GO FOR IT! and GOOD FOR YOU!! You have 100% support!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Mama: No problem. Glad it could possibly help. You have my prayers.

    @Kari: Thank you so much for the support, you rock. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck! I'm also looking into this! It's exciting to think about it, although I know it's a lot work! I'm glad that I'm not the only one out there that thinks that adoptive breastfeeding is amazing! (We live in a very small town, and people look at me like I'm crazy when I mention this! My doctor had never even heard of it!)

    ReplyDelete