We went in at 8am on 12/31/09 for my HSG. I was admitted to the hospital (as an outpatient) and then waited for like 45 min. (I'm assuming the Dr wasn't even there yet as I was told later I was their first patient of the day.) Anyway, I get in and have S. with me. I'm assuming the tech I had realized I was nervous to no end, so she began explaining the procedure.
I needed to get undressed from the waist down and put on one of their beautiful gowns that expose you in the back. I would then lie down, much like the position we take for our annual paps. The doctor would then use a
S. was then asked to leave and then I was asked more personal questions. I thought this was funny simply because Steve knows all of this, but then I came to realize that there may be pregnancies that aren't as wonderful as ours and spouses have secrets.
The procedure began and went as described.
Oh yeah, and as the balloon inflates, I would feel a sensation. They said it might be a super quick pain, but for me it was VERY uncomfortable - much like a bad cramp. I didn't like that balloon in me and not because it was painful, it just didn't feel happy.
They said that if there were any scar tissues or blockages, they'd let me know, however the Dr. gave me a huge green light and said everything looked beautiful. He asked if I wanted to see my pics and I, of course, said yes. The Dr. left and I was able to talk with the tech, she was amazing - showing me my fallopian tubes, which are SUPER small. I had no idea. She likened them to angel hair pasta. Now I'm hungry.
Anyway, I was given a pad the size of an encyclopedia because the dye will continue to leak from me. Cramps are normal afterward, as is spotting. However, if you find you are bleeding HEAVY (like going through a pad in an hour), have a fever, are sick, or have gnarly discharge then get to an ER quick as you have signs of an infection. This isn't likely, as the procedure is super sterile, but they need to give the precautions anyway. Some OBs who order the test prescribe an antibiotic BEFORE hand, but I was lucky enough that mind didn't (I wouldn't have taken it anyway).
As I've mentioned, I showed no signs of blockage or scaring, which is what this test is for. But, the tech did say that sometimes there is a slight blockage that isn't detected in the tests and women find they get pregnant immediately after.
To end, the whole thing lasted a total of about a little over an hour (from the time I arrived the hospital to the time I left) and the actual procedure was only about 15 min.
I was incredibly nervous going in but really want to let you know that it wasn't anything like I was making it out to be.
If you or someone you know is having this done and want to ask any questions, feel free to contact me.
No comments:
Post a Comment