Tuesday, January 12, 2010

One step at a time.

Just like just about everything in life, anything that comes at you you take one step at a time. Every now and then, you get a leap thrown in there to keep you on your toes. We're currently at a step, wait, step, wait, step part of our lives.

As you have read, S. and I are suffering from infertility issues. Technically it's called Male Infertility Factor, or something ridiculous like that, but I consider it to be a team issue rather than his or mine.

Last month S. had a semen analysis performed to determine if he was producing any swimmers and if so, are they moving like they're supposed to. A couple weeks ago his doctor called with the results and we actually got decent news - he was producing a great number of sperm, they just weren't doing much of anything (also known as 'low motility'). So they ordered an ultrasound to see just what could be causing this. The doctor suspected vericocele.

We had the ultrasound done last week and got the results yesterday. Yes, as the doctor suspected, it is varicocele. Now we wait for the doctor to call about surgery.

Here's where I'm actually okay with waiting longer in between the steps. I really don't want to rush into surgery, even if it's only done on an outpatient basis and done frequently and safe, etc. What types of surgery are there? What's the success rate? Complication rate? How easy is pregnancy after? How long do we have to wait for him to be healed? The list of questions are never-ending.

Anyway, I'm sure these will all be brought up with the doctor and we will be able to make a better decision then - taking another step and then waiting.

2 comments: